Trócaire is a social justice organization that works in partnership with local organizations and communities to tackle the root causes of poverty, injustice and violence. We help people use their own power to create positive and lasting change. Trócaire works in up to 20 countries across Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East.
The Trocaire TB Program Coordinator for Jubaland State, Somalia will oversee the implementation of activities in all TB Management Units (TBMUs) under the responsibility of Trocaire. The TC Coordinator will provide technical direction and management oversight of the project. He/she will oversee all aspects of project implementation, including program quality, personnel management, and financial management. S/he will coordinate closely with World Vision and other stakeholders, ensuring that all project interventions are of high quality and lead to measurable impact. He/she will be responsible for the timely and adequate implementation of project activities, deliverables, project execution, monitoring and reporting. S/he will support the Health and Nutrition Program Manager in providing operational and technical support to ensure quality implementation and developing local capacity for effective implementation. The TB Coordinator will provide the necessary link to TBMUs, ensuring they receive adequate support and issues are escalated appropriately for prompt resolution. He/she will be responsible for timely submission of quarterly reports of TBMUs, regular supervision and on-the-job training of TBMUs as required. S/he will ensure that the TBMUs implement TB services in accordance with protocols and guidelines agreed by the World Health Organization (WHO) for Somalia.
The TB Coordinator should have in-depth knowledge of HIV/AIDS and TB strategies and internationally recognized best practices, as well as experience in managing HIV/AIDS and TB activities. They must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to lead and work in a team. Leadership qualities are essential, including demonstrated experience of working closely with government and WHO policy makers and program managers in challenging environments.
Reporting to the Health and Nutrition Program Manager, this is a 1 year fixed term contract (renewable) based in Jubaland, Somalia. The TB Coordinator will manage and coordinate a team in various districts in JL State.
Backup Program Participants – Children and Adults
Trócaire is committed to protecting people within our programs from exploitation and abuse and has specific policies on this commitment (including a global code of conduct), which outlines expected behaviors and accountability for all staff , consultants and other representatives of the organization.
Any candidate proposed for employment with Trócaire must sign the Safeguard Policies and the Trócaire Global Code of Conduct appended to their employment contract and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents. All job offers will be subject to pre-employment checks, including satisfactory references and appropriate screening (eg Police/Garda, Counter Terrorism and Anti-Trafficking check). Trócaire also participates in the Interagency Misconduct Disclosure Program, and all employees will be subject to it as part of the employment contract.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the development and implementation of program work plans and strategies aligned with the national TB program
- In collaboration with the Health and Nutrition Officer, ensure that TBMUs are operating in accordance with required WHO recommendations and that standard TB treatment guidelines are in place.
- Plans, directs and coordinates activities to ensure goals and objectives are achieved within prescribed timeframes and funding parameters
- Coordinate and work with WHO to ensure appropriate training of TBMU staff to advise on TBMU stock levels of TB drugs and laboratory supplies.
- Conduct regular on-site visits to TB facilities, identify challenges and co-create action plans to accelerate implementation and support quality treatment outcomes
- Supervise and mentor facility-level TBMU staff in the proper implementation of TB/PAL diagnostic and treatment protocols.
- identify staff capacity gaps and mobilize training to improve the operational and organizational capacity of sub-recipient partners
- perform periodic site visits and on-site data verifications and data quality audits, providing reports to the DM&E function to target data quality improvements.
- Contribute to program gap analysis in TBMUs and brief the Health and Nutrition Program Manager
Management of human resources, finances, logistics and systems
- Effectively manage the performance of TB unit staff.
- Support, mentor and coach TBMU staff in their professional development and help them to be highly effective in their work.
- Foster a culture of peer support and constructive engagement within the TBMU team.
- Hold and document monthly meetings focused on strategy and operations.
- Maintain oversight of TB program finances and budgets; ensure sound financial management of the donor program and the organization.
- Establish a system of continuous communication with the finance and administration manager to oversee program finances and jointly resolve any issues encountered. Ensure full compliance, use and critical oversight of Trócaire’s management information systems, including Salesforce and Box.
Policy, advocacy and communications
- Proactively lead an evidence-based program around advocacy for comprehensive TB prevention and treatment nationally (and internationally where appropriate).
- Actively engage and communicate with government and global TB leaders on progress in TB prevention, diagnosis and treatment in JL State within the context of global commitments, strategies and targets in matter of tuberculosis.
- Support organizational requests for materials or arrange visits related to Trocaire’s TB program.
- Engage strategically, with the support of program officers, in key thematic spaces, working groups and networks relevant to Trócaire programming in the country.
Other duties and responsibilities
- Perform all other reasonable duties and responsibilities requested by the H&N Program Manager.
Person specification – Essential requirements
Medical doctor with a background in public health
- At least 3 years of project management experience with extensive experience in engaging global funds.
- Knowledge and professional experience in the field of public health.
- Previous work experience in TB and HIV/AIDS program preferred.
- Strong demonstrated skills in problem solving, attention to detail and an analytical approach to work.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing with beneficiaries, health authorities and other partners.
- Ability to proactively identify quality issues related to service delivery and formulate solutions.
- Ability to integrate TB program with other health services to maximize case detection, prevention, patient care and support as well as stigma reduction.
- Good collaborative skills in working with stakeholders in TB program implementation.
- Ability to motivate staff to align with a common vision and goals.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Ability to manage budgets and financial systems.
- Highly organized, with excellent planning, prioritization and problem solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft packages (Word, Excel).
- Fluency (written and spoken) in English and Somali
- Ability and willingness to travel within JL State and internationally as required.
- Commitment to Program Participant Protection Principles.
Person Specification – Desirable
- Master in Public Health.
- Work experience in Jubaland State.
How to register
For the spirit candidateh the experience and passion required for the position, Trocaire offers a competitive salary and benefits package
The deadline for receipt of applications is August 17, 2022.
For all the details of this position, please see the attached job description. To apply, please send a copy of your CV and cover letter (quoting the job title above) to: https://trocaire.workable.com/