Hop Valley Brewery
Apply for a job
Job Summary:The head brewer is responsible for the daily process of beer production. The head brewer works directly with the brewing team, operations manager, production manager, cellar manager, brewing manager and supply chain manager to produce wort according to specifications required. The Head Brewer leads our team of brewers, including staff planning, training, coaching, motivation and career development. The Head Brewer is actively involved in recipe development, modification, optimization, maintenance and troubleshooting. The Head Brewer understands the principles of proper sanitation and quality assurance, including food safety, food defense and good manufacturing practices (GMP). A head brewer is expected to have an in-depth knowledge of the science of brewing and fermentation and to make informed process decisions using this knowledge.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the brewing department
- Cleanliness of brewhouse, mill room, hop storage area
- FIFO all cereals & hops
- Inspection of CIP and deep cleaning procedures
- Consistent production of wort according to established specifications
- Process quality control
- Yeast handling
- Documentation, including development and maintenance of SOPs
- Staff planning
- Meet with brewing staff to set expectations and understand staffing needs
- Drive staff recruitment and development for the brewery, including
- Planning and conducting interviews
- Provide coaching, guidance and disciplinary action as needed
- Effective goal monitoring
- Strong annual review writing
- Participate in interviews from other departments upon request
- Communicate with the cellar manager and the cellar team regarding fermentation tank needs
- Yeast management
- Work with the quality team to validate decisions or process changes
- Brewery Equipment Asset Management
- Communicate necessary preventative maintenance, repair and equipment issues to the maintenance team and area managers
- Maintain brewhouse operations via assigning and auditing operator-based maintenance procedures
- Collaborate with supply chain to plan, organize and drive brewery production schedules, including:
- Communication of raw material needs
- Silo Grain Order
- Manage the FIFO system on two silos
- Confirmation of quantities of raw materials through regular inventories
- Check the quality of raw materials through COAs and organoleptic evaluation
- Training and development of brewers
- Silo filling and switching operation
- Factory operation, adjustments and quality control
- Brewhouse operation including brewhouse compressed air, boiler and steam services
- Layout of the brewing stand
- Safety (LOTO, Confined Space, PPE, chemical safety)
- Transfers (Must, yeast)
- Sanitation / CIP
- General equipment operation and simple maintenance
- Planning and conducting cross-training in other areas of the company
- Complete the Hop Valley Advanced Taster training and be an active member of the sensory team
- Work closely with management, quality and sales in the new product development process
- Perform other duties assigned by management
- Audit, update and maintain production orders, material supply and inventory in the ERP system (Orchestrated Beer)
Work experience requirements:
- Minimum 3 years of related experience in a manufacturing environment
- Minimum 2 years of leadership or management experience preferred
- Experience in data collection, documentation and analysis
- Demonstrated expertise in food defence, food safety, GMP and HACCP
- Experience performing 5-Why, root cause analysis, or other similar problem solving techniques
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, decision-making and delegation skills.
- Strong work ethic and business integrity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to motivate teams while maintaining positive workplace morale.
- Team player with an ability to work independently while achieving a common goal.
- Strong fundamental knowledge of brewing principles and practices including manufacturing equipment, process flow and process control.
- Ability to read and understand COAs, production reports, production schedules and data analysis reports.
- Superlative attention to detail and accuracy in data reporting.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to present data and offer data-driven solutions to problems.
- Proficiency in computer functions including Microsoft Office, PC and Apple products.
- Understanding of HMI and PLC process control systems.
- Working knowledge of ERP systems such as Orchestrated Beer an asset.
- Able to maintain a flexible work schedule including weekends and day, swing or graveyard shifts.
- Bachelor’s degree in food science, chemistry, biology or similar field preferred.
- Formal brewing degree from IBD, MBAA or Siebel Institute preferred.
- Formal management training preferred.
- Equivalent experience may substitute for education.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following skills to perform the essential functions of this job.
- Security – perform security audits, security training and other duties as required by the security manager.
- Problem solving – the individual identifies and solves problems in a timely manner, skillfully gathers and analyzes information.
- Employee Focus – the person handles difficult employee/operational situations, responds quickly to employee needs, solicits employee feedback to improve service, responds to service and support requests, and meets commitments.
- Planning/Organizing – the person prioritizes and plans work activities and uses time effectively.
- Quality Control – the individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, monitors own work to ensure quality, and applies feedback to improve performance.
- Quantity – meets productivity standards and completes work in a timely manner.
- Adaptability – the individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and can cope with frequent changes, delays or unexpected events.
- Dependability – the individual is consistently on the job and on time, follows instructions, responds to direction from management, and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Safety and Security – the person observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials correctly.
- Ability to lift over 50 lbs.
- Work a 10 hour shift
- The person in this role must have the ability to reach, twist, bend, stoop, crouch, stand and walk frequently during 8-12 hour shifts. Candidates may be required to work overtime if necessary.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment and work in variable temperatures
Apply for a job