Position: Syria Program Manager
Location: Damascus, Syria
Type of Contract: a first collaboration contract of 3 (three) months subject to the verification of the achievement of specific objectives (these objectives will be agreed with the representative of the country upon arrival on mission); a second collaboration contract of 9 (nine) months renewable, following the positive evaluation of the first three months of the contract.
Registration deadline: August 21, 2022
Start date: as quickly as possible
Gross salary: to be defined according to the profile of the candidate.
R&R: The duration of R&R consists of 5 (five) consecutive calendar days not charged to annual leave every 12 (twelve) weeks
WeWorld-GVC, recently formed from the merger of two NGOs, is a secular and independent Italian organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and fight against violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, relief of emergency and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld-GVC works primarily with girls, boys, women and youth, agents of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people who overcome emergencies and ensure dignified lives, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, within the framework of Agenda 2030. Join the WeWorld-GVC team, c is to be part of the development of a dynamic organization where the contribution of each staff member is valued and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision.
The presence of WeWorld-GVC in Syria dates back to 2011, when an EiE project in favor of Iraqi refugees in Aleppo and financed by the Italian cooperation (AICS) was set up. Since the beginning of the Syrian crisis, WeWorld-GVC has provided humanitarian assistance to the Syrian population and displaced persons through several interventions funded by multiple donors (ECHO, UN-OCHA, UNICEF, Italian Cooperation – AICS and Province of Bolzano ). WeWorld-GVC has focused its action in the hard-to-reach areas of Aleppo, rural Damascus and Deir-Ez-Zor (HTR) implementing education and sanitation projects, in Deir-Ez-Zor , WWGVC was one of the first actors to intervene after the liberation of the city from the headquarters of the Islamic State. Education interventions, in line with INEE standards and the Back to Learning (BTL) strategy, aim to promote school access and quality education. WASH projects aim to increase access to safe drinking water for vulnerable communities through light rehabilitation of WASH infrastructure (pumping stations, storage systems, water networks) and promotion of appropriate hygiene practices . WeWorld-GVC is present in Syria with a coordination office in Damascus and two operational offices in Aleppo and Deir-Ez-Zor.
Purpose of the role
The Program Manager manages organizational programs at the country level ensuring quality from development to execution. Identifies programming opportunities and areas where the organization can demonstrate its value and relevance. Builds relationships with donors and national counterparts by creating a collaborative network and highlighting the value the organization brings. Manages international and national staff and budget.
The Program Manager reports directly to the Country Representative.
MAIN FUNCTIONS AND ATTRIBUTIONS
Program development (30%)
- In collaboration with the country representative and the headquarters coordinators, develops and implements an appropriate and effective strategy related to the emergency sector, setting clear objectives and indicators
- Develops new proposals in collaboration with the Country Representative and HQ Coordinators, involving a multi-sectoral approach, expanding WeWorld-GVC’s intervention into new sectors
- Provides strategic and technical advice on key elements of WeWorld-GVC’s emergency work to foster good practice and ensure minimum humanitarian standards are met across all sectors
Program and project management (40%)
- Monitors and oversees project activity planning, ensuring efficient delivery in line with donor requirements and WeWorld-GVC mission
- Prepares internal and external reports to ensure efficient and timely information flow and reporting.
- Ensure that timely information on progress and results is available
- Compiles, organizes, analyzes, monitors and prepares data for situation reports, fact sheets, donor reports, briefing notes and other report products
- Undertakes field visits to gather information on results related to emergency response activities.
- Ensures that field data collection and analysis is carried out in a results-oriented and timely manner for donors, audits and internal purposes
- Direct monitoring / implementation of projects without a dedicated PM whenever necessary and based on the orientations of the RC
Representation and coordination (20%)
- Participates in cluster/group coordination meetings and other working groups or emergency meetings as required
- Represents WeWorld-GVC and briefs the Country Representative and HQ Coordinators on relevant issues
- Develops and maintains regular, transparent and accountable communication structures with assigned project staff, HQ coordinators, as well as other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs), with the aim of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships
- Provides effective representation of WeWorld-GVC to donors, national and local authorities, partners and other relevant stakeholders in the country
- Supports donor relations by contributing to the production of various communications products for donors and accompanying donors on field visits in coordination with program and field officers
Capacity building and general (10%)
- Identifies learning and training opportunities for project staff and acts as a mentor and role model for less experienced staff
- Ensure transparent, fair and inclusive human resource management and training in accordance with policy and procedures, and all regulatory requirements (WeWorld-GVC, host country legislation and donor policy)
- Foster an inclusive and diverse work environment and ensure the highest standards of conduct are met
The duties and responsibilities set out above are not exhaustive and the incumbent may be required to perform additional duties.
THE NECESSARY REQUIRED
Qualifications and knowledge
- Advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of social or political sciences, development studies, international relations, project management
- Knowledge of the policies and procedures of the main donors (ECHO, United Nations Agencies, EU, Italian Cooperation)
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Good computer skills, especially MS Office package
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience in humanitarian or development contexts
- At least 4 years of experience in project cycle management
- Proven experience in project proposal writing
Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to leverage business networks and partnerships for continued growth
- Good communication and leadership skills
- Ability to perform under stressful conditions
- Ability to work independently and in prevention/problem solving
- Ability to think strategically and conceptually and translate them into concrete results
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities, including building professional relationships with high level decision makers and influencers/leaders
- Proven organizational skills and the ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues
- Integrity in accordance with humanitarian principles and ethical standards
- Strong commitment to the WeWorld-GVC mission
- Sensitivity and adaptability to culture, gender, religion and age
- Previous experience in Syria or in the context of the Syrian crisis
- Previous experience in education or WASH
- Knowledge of Arabic and Italian
How to register
Please send your CV and cover letter by applying here: