Document: Port Arthur man killed with two different weapons in violent encounter linked to marijuana sales – Port Arthur News

0

Two firearms were used in the January killing of Marcus Freeman in Port Arthur, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Time stamps on text messages coupled with surveillance video capturing the sound of gunfire led the Port Arthur Police Department to issue a warrant on March 30 for the arrest of 18-year-old Dastacy Lawrence. Police did not locate Lawrence Wednesday afternoon.

Freeman’s body was found on January 21 in a vehicle at Normandy Apartments. He had been shot several times. However, the court document suggests that the victim died the previous afternoon. He was previously 34, his body having been found on his birthday.

Officers found his cell phone in the floor of his vehicle and found a text stream between Freeman and a phone registered to Lawrence that began at 2:54 p.m. The texts discussed the $5,000 purchase of marijuana.

In the messages, Freeman is told where to go to the Normandy apartments, then later where to park. At 5:59 p.m., the document says, Freeman told the other person he had arrived. Surveillance footage with the 6:03 p.m. timestamp shows a man 20 yards from where Freeman would park a minute later. At 6:06 p.m., a second man is shown on video. At 6:06:34 a.m., shots were fired from what investigators said were two different weapons.

“Thirteen 9mm shell casings were found and analysis showed that at least two different guns were used,” the document said.

Additional video footage later located shows the two men together less than 10 minutes before the shooting.

After locating the number Freeman was texting Lawrence, police tracked the man down to his Normandy Place apartment. He reportedly admitted to sending the messages and said the second man shown in the video was his friend, but denied involvement in the homicide.

Later footage collected from nearby Brittany Place apartments captures the sound of gunfire and allegedly captures the two men walking towards Lawrence’s apartment five minutes later.

Det. Mike Hebert said Wednesday that a second arrest warrant has not been issued in the case.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.